Friday, March 09, 2018

Inked in

It's almost spring break and I went looking today for some recreational reading.  I love SF/fantasy, but after listening to a series of classic SF short stories by male authors in which women are generally portrayed as weights around the ankles of swashbuckling men (think Heinlein's "The Roads Must Roll") or bundles of raw emotion ("Helen O'Loy" by Lester del Rey) I was looking for something a bit more....balanced.

I opened up Facebook to find Sabrina Vourvoulias posting this great list of SF/fantasy by women collected by UnboundWorlds (Sabrina's Ink, of which I was a beta reader, is on the list.) I've added several new books to my to-read list!

Other terrific women authors writing SF/fantasy that I've enjoyed lately include Lois McMaster Bujold, whose Vorkosigan Saga won a Hugo last year.  Like Miles, I'm not short, I'm concentrated, and the woman characters are strong and nuanced.

________
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1: 1929-1964, edited by Robert Silverberg; only one of the 26 stories included is by a women "That Only a Mother" by Judith Merril.

No comments:

Post a Comment