Wednesday, November 09, 2016

#imwithher

I am with her: the sobbing child, whose mother cannot afford medical care for her ear infection.

I am with her: the mother in the shelter, who does not know where she will live next week, next month, or perhaps tomorrow night.

I am with her: the mother whose child died of their mental illness.

I am with her: the mother in Aleppo, the mother in Mosul, their bodies wrapped around their children, sheltering them from the unthinkable.

I am with her: the mother in Virginia, sleeping in her car in the heat of July to get glasses for her children, and dentures so she can eat.

I am with her: the mother whose children were bullied and beaten and killed because of their race, their ethnicity, their religion, their gender or their sexual orientation.

I am with her: my student, whose faith in God has been impugned, dismissed as evil.

I am with her: my student, who cannot afford to complete her degree.

I am with them:  those who live in fear, those whose lives are in peril, those who are hungry and naked and sick and trapped by forces they do not control.


Here is where I stand.  I stand with Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.  I know where I stand.  At the foot of the cross. Unwilling to look away from the suffering. Willing to witness. Willing to pick up the bodies and care for them.

Here is where I stand. 
‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, 
and not minister to your needs?’ 
He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’

#imwithHim

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed. Prayers from Canada for the next 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the heart of the Gospel. #I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is who we are called to be.

      Delete
  3. Powerful. Gets us outside of ourselves and helps us to see the bigger picture. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to say this litany daily. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete